When the virus hit, everyone’s life turned head over heels overnight. Stranded in my hometown, lockdown has seen me both in my ups and downs. The outrageously cold weather in Athens right now whet my appetite for a warm chicken soup.
In my head, soup has always fallen under the winter dishes category. Then again, who ever knew that you’d be forced to stay at home or avoid anyone on your way out? Extraordinary circumstances require special measures and chicken soup comes to the rescue.
This chicken soup got me through the best part of last winter. In an era that sneezing can make your run run cold, I highly recommend this hearty and comforting chicken soup. Not only is it ridiculously easy to make, it requires a few ingredients in moderate demand.
I know many of you may be struggling with cold and flu (aside from coronavirus), so I thought why not make a cold-fighting chicken soup recipe that you can come back to when necessary.
Greek chicken soup
- 1 litre water
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup rice
- 1/2 tsp ginger dried
- 1 sweet potato cut in wedges
- 1 leek chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- freshly ground pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Season with salt. Add in the chicken and rice. Reduce to medium heat and simmer until chicken and rice are cooked, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, leek, carrot and bay leaf. Simmer until soup is thick and chicken is tender enough, for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a dish and shred. Return to pan. Add lemon juice, salt, pepper and soy sauce.
- Serve the chicken soup warm.
Amazing recipe! Congrats Tassos
Top recipe! Congrats Tassos