Make your own homemade chicken souvlaki, also known as chicken kebabs or chicken skewers!
Souvlaki is one of the most popular street foods in Greece. It’s tasty, wholesome and it tastes like heaven! Best served with pita, tomato and tzatziki sauce, it is the definition of comfort food for Greeks.
The most important step in making a perfect Greek souvlaki is the marinade. For this traditional chicken souvlaki recipe, the chicken is first marinated to soak up all the wonderful and flavorful aromas. Then it is cooked on high temperature, to get crunchy, beautifully colored and juicy. Make sure to choose some good quality chicken breasts and season with a selection of Greek spices like thyme or oregano. Coat with extra virgin olive oil and add lime zest to give a citrus aroma to the souvlaki. Marinading your chicken souvlaki in the fridge for at an hour will allow the flavors to blend and give their aromas to the meat.
As a matter of fact, I love this recipe so much that I made a short video showing you how to make it. Check it out below and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more delicious and fast recipes here!
For the marinade:
- 12 oz chicken breast
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 pita breads
- 4 kebab skewers
- Cut the chicken breast in equally shaped chunks.
- In a bowl combine the marinade ingredients with the chicken chunks.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Thread the chicken pieces, alternating with pepper chunks, on the skewers.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan, over high heat. Cook the chicken souvlaki (skewers) for about 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until nicely coloured on all sides and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken skewers from the pan. Add the pita bread into the pan and cook for 1 minute from each side. Serve the chicken skewers on the pita bread.
Read more Greek recipes: Keftedes Recipe (Greek Meatballs)